Friday, May 11, 2012

Spoiled

I am still on the diet :) I have had a few indiscretions however. Stephanie and her father share a birthday week and so a couple days ago Tom, Steph's dad invited us over for a wonderful bar-b-q. It was delicious, but completely off of my diet. I enjoyed a fantastic steak, a special potato salad and asparagus. The good thing is the meat I believe was of a premium local grade, so I don't think factory farming was an issue at least. I enjoyed every bite.

On the ship, the dining situation has changed. We now must go to our sister ship which is also at the dock and eat there. Hard to believe but the reports I am getting is the food is worse there than on our own ship. I have not yet made the journey to test it out.

Back on my vessel we can prepare our own lunches with some items provided by the Stewart. I have been eating a lot of instant oatmeal, soup and peanut butter banana sandwiches. The salad bar has been taken away.

At home we had Mexican week. It has mostly been enjoyable food. Stephanie has really made things easy for me and has volunteered a few time to make dinner. She is the best, and her food turned out pretty good too. I do need a better more diverse cookbook though than just relying on the E2 book.

I have found the most challenging thing is menu planning. I am normally fairly good at throwing a meal together with what ever I can find in the cupboards and fridge. But on this diet I have not learned how to do that yet. I feel like I have to really plan things out, and if the plan changes then the whole deal is thrown out of whack. I have fruits and vegetables that have gone bad, and breads and wraps that have gone moldy all because of poor planning or sudden changes.

If I forget a key ingredient of a recipe then I make something else, but that leaves other ingredients purchased for that original recipe unused and subject to spoilage. I know once I get my skills together this will not be such a problem. Learning how to shop and cook all over again is perhaps the biggest challenge of all. I am sure with practice I will be able to toss together a meal on short notice like I used to.

Oh, and one other thing. (whispering) a few days ago, before the ships galley was closed... I stole a piece of bacon. Oh that was so good. Except for a few minor transgressions though, I have been a very good boy.

"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons." ~Alfred E. Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment