Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bacon alimentation termination

On this ship we have a steward; I will call him Al. The reason I have chosen to call him Al is because his name is Allen and Al is shorter by exactly 3 letters, and that is of course a huge time saver. Humm... Perhaps the explanation eliminated the savings. Oh well, I'll still call him Al.

Anyway....

Currently we are in port and have been for awhile so I am lucky enough to eat at home on the weekends and every night for dinner. During the week, I eat breakfast and lunch aboard the vessel. Al is perhaps the best steward anyone could ask for, if you want your steward to defrost and heat pre-made meals and to deep fry most everything else.

Al is not opposed to cooking completely however. In the mornings he prepares eggs to order everyday. I stopped eating his eggs along time ago. I used to order eggs over easy, but I cannot handle having even a trace of runny whites, runny yolks are just fine by me, but for some reason runny whites turn my stomach so I found ordering over medium usually cures that issue. But Al has some sort of magical juju working for him. I think he could serve up a hard boiled egg with a perfectly
solid creamy yolk and still have the whites be runny as hell. It has to be magic.

Besides eggs, every morning Al makes a few breakfast sandwiches, oatmeal and he also opens a giant can of country sausage gravy and plops it into a large chaffing dish and he defrosts and warms biscuits from the Acme Biscuit Co., He also serves up a few pounds of bacon. By now you know how much I love bacon.

Since I dislike his eggs and his sanitary prowess (his use if rubber gloves is interesting to say the least) I would most often opt for the biscuits and gravy, they seemed the least likely to poison me with any illness he is carrying. Of course, with that I would have my share of bacon.

So today and yesterday I have stuck to my new diet and ordered only the oatmeal. I load the bowl up with blueberries and I use Agave Nectar for added sweetness. Pretty good actually. But the bacon...

The bacon stares at me, each morning it is beckoning to me. Jesse, eat my salty meaty goodness it says. But I resist, I refuse to give in. But O' how I want slip a strip and masticate the hell out of a piece of that yummy bacon.

I have to walk past the serving area several times a day in the course of my work. Between lunch and dinner, Al puts out some leftover breakfast sandwiches and all the left over bacon for anyone to grab as they pass. With every pass I hear my name being called, I turn to look, and it's the bacon calling my name. It is possessed meat dammit and it wants my soul...

If that plate of bacon someday says, hey... Jesse. I promise to make you the greatest musician since Robert Johnson sold his soul at the crossroads if you just eat me... I may just break down.

So far I have not heard the offer, and so, I have not cheated. Yet.

I miss you bacon,
Love, Jesse


No comments:

Post a Comment