Monday, April 23, 2012

Night at the Movies

I was first told about the movie Forks Over Knives by Steve a Third Mate who sometimes works on the ship I am assigned to. He strongly suggested I watch the movie. I asked him what it was about, but he just insisted I watch. He didn't want to push any expectations on me which may cause me to reject his suggestion only saying it would open my eyes to nutrition. Steve is a surfer, and pretty darn fit, I was sure I was much older than him, turns out he has 10 years on me. Several months later, my friend Micheal posted on Facebook how his health has improved after having had some heart issues . He also mentioned the film Forks Over Knives.

I figured it was time to watch it. I think it was worth watching. You can see a preview on Hulu . Watch it and tell me what you think about the movie.

Another movie that I think everyone should check out is Food, Inc. Everyone should watch this one.

These documentaries talk about the corporate control of our food the effects on our environment and our health. There are so many issues relating to our food production and consumption that I don't think one movie can cover it all.

You can watch Super Size Me right now for free. If you haven't seen it yet, you should, especially if you love french fries and McAnything as much as me.

I am a little late to the party when it comes to eating healthy, and I hope this strict diet will help me develop better eating habits in the future. For 28 days I think I can avoid meat, after that, I hope to keep my consumption limited to just a couple times a week. We shall see.

Do you have any food movie suggestions? If so, post them below. :)



3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty obsessed with the "urban ag" movement, and all things therein. The movie Dirt is a must; some of the biggest and best thinkers on the subject, including Wes Jackson of the Land Institute (in Kansas) - the work he is doing is FASCINATING...he's been writing on sustainable ag since the 70's. Also, Vandana Shiva, David Orr, Majora Carter and a whole slew of likeable real-life characters.

    Tell me if you ever wanna read my paper "Dirt, Food, and Human Rights- Why the Industrial Agricultural Model Needs a Makeover." Might help you sleep more than anything else, but...

    Also, for films, The Botany of Desire (if you're a Michael Pollan fan...), Ingredients, and from Debra Koons, The Future of Food. (which I have yet to see but thought itd interest you with the Jerry connection an' all...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll try to check out Dirt and The Botany of Desire, I think the latter is a book my wife says she wants to read.

    I'll have to look into Future of Food as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, what, you DON'T wanna read my paper?

    Would love to see you guys soon. And Kassidy, too! Perhaps you all (including Stella) could come over for a veggie dinner...? We've been turning over a similar leaf, and David has many questions about your car, too. (no pun intended there...:>) P.S. I know, super uncouth to post an invite on your blog, but for reals!

    ReplyDelete