Monday, April 23, 2012

Where's the kale?!


"...according to a 2006 report by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), our diets and, specifically, the meat in them cause more greenhouse gases carbon dioxide (CO2), methane, nitrous oxide, and the like to spew into the atmosphere than either transportation or industry."


Yesterday turned out to be a pretty good food day overall. All three meals were good, I was happy to have a dinner that was both filling and tasty. But once again, I wish the Engine 2 Diet book would not use the word "meat" or "steak" in the title of the recipes. It would be easier for me to disassociate meat altogether from what I am eating. Calling a loaf of textured vegetable protein mixed with tofu and sauteed veggies 'Lynn's Meat Loaf' is not right. Why not call it Lynn's Dinner Loaf? The word meat, causes an expectation in my brain that is never met. It was good though.

Breakfast Tacos started out the morning. They were actually pretty tasty. Nothing more than corn tortillas filled with Gimme Lean breakfast sausage, some non-fat hash-browns topped with salsa. I had three of them. The fake sausage was way better than I had expected, however I was supposed to use veggie meat crumbles instead... I guess not following instructions this time worked out.

For lunch I was supposed to have a Kale, lemon and cilantro sandwich, but finding Kale on a Saturday has turned into a problem. After visiting three stores I finally went to Chucks Produce only to be reminded they are closed on Saturdays. They seem to be the only store in town that carries Kale. So I made the Basic Wraps that I had yesterday, only I added the Jalapenos to the hummus and sliced some tomatoes for the the sandwich with some extra pepper. Turned out good, but.... KALE! I like kale, and lemons I will get some eventually.

Dinner was meant to be comfort food night. I made Lynn's Meat Loaf from the E2 Book. Of course there is not meat in the meat loaf. But, it was a good meal and we had left over potatoes and green beans from the night before to serve as a side. While the loaf had no meat it did have a look of meat and the texture was close. I liked it, and will probably make it again with a few tweaks of course. :)

For dessert I made Blueberry Dumpster Fire Cobbler. It was good, but I do have to get used to the taste of wheat flour in baked goods other than bread.

So, yesterday was a good food day. Our household did our part in reducing our environmental impact yesterday. No meat, and all our errands were done in our electric powered car.

Stephanie has been a great cheerleader for me, and so far has been eating what I have fixed for dinner, but she did not sign up for this diet. I keep telling her, she should eat the bacon in the fridge, it's going to go bad, but so far she is avoiding it. I love her so much, and I am grateful to have her around me. She is the best.

"The greatest delight the fields and woods minister is the suggestion of an occult relation between man and the vegetable. I am not alone and unacknowledged. They nod to me and I to them." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 comments:

  1. Gimmie Lean is great stuff, for sure!

    And I agree about the misleading names. When I was a vegetarian, I learned to steer clear of recipes that pretended to be what they clearly were not...

    So hummus without oil... what's the texture like? Is it creamy? I make my own hummus, but use olive oil, of course....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hummus is not bad at all really. It seems to be just a little courser, not as smooth as the store bought stuff. I like what I have made so far. Before now though, I have never made my own, so a true comparison is difficult for me. I think just adding more garlic or what ever seasoning you want is the key.

      Delete
  2. We have a field full of kale here at the farm! I will bring you more kale than you have ever wanted. Meep, meep, meep - backing up the truck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring a bunch or two home with ya honey.... I don't think we can keep a whole truck load fresh though.

      Delete
  3. I love kale. I've been getting it at the local health food store, but was surprised to find it in the Walmart super store the other day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to avoid Walmart myself, but there are a couple health food stores I did not try yet. In our area I am convinced Chucks has the best produce and the widest selection, but I think for religious reasons they close on Saturdays. I just need to remember that. :)

      Delete