Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Earthday :-)

Did you know... Though some 800 million people on the planet now suffer from hunger or malnutrition, the majority of corn and soy grown in the world feeds cattle, pigs and chickens. This despite the inherent inefficiencies: about two to five times more grain is required to produce the same amount of calories through livestock as through direct grain consumption, according to Rosamond Naylor, an associate professor of economics atStanford University. It is as much as 10 times more in the case of grain-fed beef in the United States.

The above information was taken from this article in the New York Times, click here.

Well, day one was not so bad. Breakfast and lunch went over well, but dinner, oh boy dinner was a dismal experience.

For breakfast I made Migas Especiales from a recipe in the E2 book. Steph first made me this when were dating. It was delicious with spicy sausage. I love, I mean I LOVE Chorizo... Oh man I could eat Chorizo all day, until it killed me. Well, this version had no eggs or meat. It was still tasty and quite filling. While I would have liked to have meat in it, I was quite satisfied. I will make some adjustments to the recipe in the future but I will make it again and this version won't kill me.

For lunch I made the Basic Wrap from the E2 book. Pretty simple to just toss a heaping bunch of hummus (homemade and oil free), romaine and some pepper into a whole wheat wrap. I was supposed to add tomato slices also, but I didn't have any leftover from breakfast. It was quite good though, much better than I expected. I ate one and a half. The second one I failed to wash my romaine well enough and I got a bit too much grit in the wrap. I will definatly make more of these, with more care to washing the leaves and adding the tomatoes. Jalapeno's in the hummus would be nice next time.

Dinner - What a failure! It was filling but terrible. So here I have a huge complaint about The Engine 2 Diet. They relate the recipes to "normal food". Take last night for instance; I figured If I could make things closer to what I like and I am used to, this would be an easier transition. So I chose the following dish:

Tofu Steaks and Mushrooms with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans.
In the description of this recipe, the author says "These steaks have all the taste and texture of a five-star steakhouse restaurant."

LIAR!!!! Bloody awful. This man really needs to leave his diet for a day and go visit a five-star steakhouse. It does not even have to be five stars, he could go to a Sizzler. There were no similarities to any kind of meat whatsoever and as I choked down each bite I thought to myself, 'who is this guy, and why in the hell would he lie to me like this? Why not just call this recipe what it actually is; Sliced Tofu That You'll Hate.

All in all though, two out of three was not bad. I'll keep on keeping on with this diet, but I must find better options for dinner.

This morning I had another good breakfast, I will tell you about it in my next post.

"One should eat to live, not live to eat" -Benjamin Franklin


5 comments:

  1. Anyone who tells you tofu tastes like steak is wicked, wicked, wicked to the core. Now, I happen to like tofu. But I would never claim it tasted like rare cow.

    ...or even well-done cow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am defiantly learning some lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following your posts with fascination. Have wanted to cut meat out for years. Thanks for making your journey available to others. I might start incorporating these one meal at a time. Hard to do while cooking for five growing kids, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best to let you know how I am doing. It is a challenge so far, but nothing insurmountable. Yet :)

      Delete
  4. I stopped "eating meat" more than ten years ago as a one month experiment. It ended up as a decade or so experiment. I felt the same and food was cheaper. I am not a huge steak fan or bacon fan anyway. I do love fish so fish didn't count. Having visited feed lots and chicken "farms" in rural Taiwan made it pretty easy to not NEED meat.

    Fast forward to today, I still am more or less pescatarian (or fishitarian) as I like to put it. But I no longer make a huge deal about having to have appropriate food at a party or restaurant. I will eat a meat thing, in small amounts if that is all that is served. I do have an occasional gyro as that is really the only meat I ever have a CRAVE for.

    Keep it up, you'll be healthier and at least a little wealthier...

    ReplyDelete